Mona



Dear Mona, 

You were the first person I've met in Canada. You were the first to squeeze this unknown teenager in your arms with great enthusiasm.  And you've never stopped showing me this love and enthusiasm.
More than half of my life time ago, you and Rusty took me in your family for several months even though you didn't know me.  You both introduced me into the Canadian community of our town, brought me to my new school, taught me how to iron my own clothes and spent most weekends travelling with me around British Columbia and Alberta.

I was with hindsight a bit of the teenage snob that figured the old beautiful Victorian buildings in Nelson were in fact incredibly young, that slept in the car while driving through the Rocky Mountains and that probably spent too much time doing homework and writing letters and diaries.

But we had good fun and the fact that my exchange year in Canada was the best year of my life, is thanks to the fact you've given me the safety and love to be able to live in a foreign country where I did not know anybody at all upon my arrival.

You and Rusty were the example of a couple in love decade after decade. Your love and dedication to each other are an example to all of us.  Unfortunately you lost the love of your live 7 years ago. It was strange to meet you again 3 years ago alone without Rusty but you were keeping strong.

I'm so glad we've met again and that you were able to meet our little Kabouter.  Unfortunately you'll not meet Beertje anymore in person. Last week I learned you've been reunited with Rusty. I learned too late in order to be able to virtually spend time with you in distance during your memorial service but you are in my thoughts now and you'll always be.

Mona, you were loved and you will be missed.  Our future visits to my Canadian hometown will feel incomplete. Rest in peace Mona and thank you.










Comments

Popular Posts