Running into the Danish queen Margrete II while sightseeing

So on my walk through Amalienborg, the palace seemed deserted.   But a few blocks further, I ended up in some buzz.  It wasn't visible from far, but there were tents,  a handfull police, photographers, veterans and people waving small Danish flags. They were all staring regularly in the direction of the palace.  Since it was just before 2 PM, my curiosity was triggered and I figured I'd better hang out for a bit to see what was happening. I had some sort of guess of who would be coming.

And while we all stared to the palace in the left and were blinking against the sun, all of a sudden a Bentley appeared out of nowhere behind our back with security running out along the car.  I tried to film who was getting out of the car but couldn't quite see it.  Yet the Bentley turned next to me and the number plate seemed to confirm my "royal" guess. 




All the people moved closer next to the tent and I could easily look into the tent while speeches were being given next to a sculpture that needed to get revealed from a white sheet.  A young police agent just hushed us a little back if we all were crawling further and further forward in front of the tent. I looked and looked while googling pictures of the Danish royal family.  Yep, the lady with the red hat just 2 meters next from me, seperated behind the white tent, was her majesty the Danish queen Margrethe II. 




The speeches continued and continued next to the statue of Thomas Dinesen. My mobile internet taught me that he is a Danish war hero who received the Victoria Cross and is the brother of the famous author Karen Blixen. 

After a while, I gave up and went to visit the Little Mermaid a km further but upon my return the ceremony was still ongoing. I noticed that the other side of the grass field wasn't truly secured so I could simply join the crowd that was listening to the speeches from the other side. Although I found myself much further from her majesty, I had a much better view on the Queen from my new position.  Numerous Danish and international colonels had to bring a tribute to the war hero and post flowers. I read a bit more about the achievements and live of Thomas Dinesen after which I discretely waved the queen goodbye and returned to Nyhavn along the water side. 





Thomas Dinesen

Comments

Popular Posts