Made in Belgium: Gotye

Welcome at the start of year 3 of my "Made in Belgium" series on Wednesday. I hope you've enjoyed all the Belgian music so far.  I start this new year by cheating a little bit:  Gotye is a Belgian but has grown up since the age of 4 in Australia. Ha, this is my blog so I can cheat a bit when I want to.  Because Gotye was for me the revelation of the year.


The hit "Somebody that I used to know" seemed to come out of nowhere on the radio thanks to the many iTunes downloads & youtube views.  I just love it! Love it!  Great how it builds up from a fresh quiet sound to something that really breaks open ans is perfect to put on repeat in the car and sing along very loud while the fingers can direct the little xylophone sounds.

Immediately Gotye was a star, not only in Australia anymore but only in the country of his roots where he sold out several countries at record time (hmm after one hit?!?) and where Wouter De Backer now shows up when talking some very cute mixture of English & dialect Dutch that his parents used to talk.

Funny enough a Canadian friend shared a link for Learnalilgivinanlovin from Gotye this summer on FB claiming how much she loves his music....featuring a 2008 song from him that I knew quite well but I did not know it was his.

This week it was in the news that he has won 3 ARIA awards in Australia: Single of the Year, Best Male Artist and Best Pop Release. In Belgium he's nominated for 3 music industry awards: pop, solo artist male and video. I told you he was my discovery of the year.

Somebody that I used to know



Eyes wide open



Learnalilgivinanlovin



Heart's a mess


Making off

Comments

Brian Miller said…
nice...this was really cool...i could listen to this...nice voice...

Popular Posts