My sister's keeper

Last fall I read a book that I had heard a lot about and after some initial confusion and adaptation time I was truly mesmerized by it. Towards the end, for the first time in years , I cried while reading a book. Then I was reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.
This morning I finished "My sister's keeper" by Jodi Picoult and I was crying once more. It was Jenn from My life in a nutshell who had brought the books from Jodi Picoult into my attention.

This winter I had already read "Plain truth" which I really enjoyed but which didn't leave me in awe either. I found it quite fun as the setting of a "who done it" novel (a baby was found dead in the barn) was in the Amish community.


'My sister's keeper' deals with a family struggling with the consequences of one daughter suffering a life threatening leucemia, the medical choices to make and their ethics, personal rights, the love of a family, ... The characters are very real with their confusions, fears, pains, ... This is not an upbeat book that tries to keep you happy for the sake of it. Even the unnecessary love story as a subtheme struggles with the same level of confusion.
And yet, you get dragged into this family's story from the start because they are so real. The book makes you think and wonder. And then the end smacks into your face.
I book I recommend!!!!

Comments

Alex Elliot said…
We read My Sister's Keeper for book club a couple years ago and everyone really enjoyed it. In fact it was one of the biggest book clubs we've ever had. There was so much to talk about. I also really liked her book 19 Minutes.
Jen said…
I have many friends who just love Picoult's work. I wouldn't be able to take this emotionally right now, but I have it on my reading list for the future.
anno said…
Jodi Picoult's novels are always interesting, always compelling, even if they're seldom lighthearted or "fun." You just reminded me that this is one I want to look at again...
Jenn in Holland said…
You know, Kate really loves Jodi Picoult too. So with your recommendation added to it, I think it's time for me to pick up one of her books.
lies said…
Goeie tip voor op vakantie! Bedankt
Jenn said…
Glad you enjoyed it and cried. It is a really great book. I agree with Alex the other great Jodi Piccolt book is 19 minutes

Jenn

Popular Posts