Kabouter conversations - March 2016
- M: "Come Kabouter, we'll go and have a nap now"
K: "Niet donker" (it's not dark)
- K: "Look mommy, sugar" (while pointing to Beertje's dry feet)
- J: "Please turn off the video on the computer. I'll count to 3"
Kabouter pauzes the youtube film and watches us with a huge grin on his face
J: "1. Thank you very much"
K switches the video back on with a big grin
J: "No Kabouter turn it off"
K: "One more time daddy, 1 time"
(heeeeelllp, my toddler starts to negotiate)
- Kijk een slagboom ( a (railroad) barrier) : he points to red/white ribbons that are protecting a bit of newly sown grass.
- A lorry tries to turn in a U-curve but on the other side a cherry picker truck is blocking its way.
G: "Oh the truck said tooot toot. It can't turn"
At this point the cherry picker truck leaves
K: "Bravooo kraan, goed gedaan kraan" (bravoo, well done crane)
- K: "Oooooh kijk, paaslelietjes" (look daffodils)
G: "Yes, here too, lots of them"
K: "Ja naast de plas, mama mag niet opstappen, mag niet" (yes next to that puddle, mommy cannot step onto, is not allowed"
- K: "Kijk winkel op tv, blauwe winkel!!!"
(the mascotte of the Carrefour hypermarket was in a tv commercial. Gosh, this kid recognises way too much).
- K: "Ikke uit, ikke uuuuiiiiit " (he is whining to get out of his high chair)
G: "how do you ask that more nicely?"
K: "More nicely"
- K: "pipi in het potje !!!" (pee in the potty)
J: "super and where will we do it now?"
K: "in het mama toilet!!!"
(not sure where I got the honor from to have a toilet for me)
- He had a little paper in his hand in the maternity and some of the visitors told him he could throw it in the waste bin.
K: "niet gooien!" (don't throw things)
(of course at this point he remembered we tell him a 1000 times not to throw things. But when convenient he doesn't know that rule anymore)
- Kabouter is watching through the window and sees Jan's car parked outside in front of our house.
K: "auto papa...kijk auto papa buiten!" (look car daddy outside , not inside)
K: "auto niet binnen"
J: "No the car can't come inside, there is no room"
K:" auto mag niet in huisje"
- We are at breakfast and he sees a bird flying outside.
K: "A-end buiten." (an eagle outside)
G: "Is there an eagle, really? wow, did you see that?"
K: "Jaaa, a-end daar"
(wow! I'll have to notify the environmentalists to let them know there's eagles flying over Leuven)
K: "oooh, a-end roept ...kom a-end"
- During our walk:
K: "Kijk, paardjes daar" (look horses there)
J: "Waar? "
J: "Waar zijn ze, papa ziet ze niet " (where are they, daddy doesn't see them)
K: "Hier papa"
J: "Hier of daar" (here or there?)
- Still on our walk
K: "Kabouter pannekoeke eten" (he's going to eat pancakes)
G: "We hebben hier geen pannekoeken. " (we don't have pancakes here)
K: "Mama in a winkel hale in de Ardennen. Kom mama" (mama has to get them in the store in the Ardennes)
(there is a solution to each problem)