We keep on turning #wedraaiendoor: Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

Each Tuesday and Thursday Anne from Satur9's World  and myself, play a musical pingpong game where we choose a new music song based on each other's previous choice by association of a name, style, lyric, style, location or whatever crosses in our mind.  We never know what the next song will be chosen and are forced to explore beyond our comfort zone due to each other's choices.

I have to admit something...sometimes Anne and myself are on a roll and in some chatting sessions we can pingpong and decide the next songs of 4-5 right after another and so we end up quite ahead of own schedule.  Anne had chosen Victoria somewhere in the first half of August and I had to think of a next song...and I couldn't. I couldn't find what I wanted. But hey since we were almost 2 months ahead of our planning, I just left it waiting and left on vacation and picked it up early september again...and Bang, there was my choice.

So why did I get stuck.   Well I was first really going on the road of Queen Victoria.  I wanted to have songs about Victoria or other great majestic queen (Elisabeth, Queen Mary, the russion Tsars, Sisi, ...). So I searched and searched for songs and song lyrics but there was nothing that tempted me despite this list below.  It seemed too far stretched, no fun songs or ... I just didn't feel it. 


  • Victoria : queen Victoria
  • Cheat codes - Queen Elisabeth
  • Boney M: Rasputin
  • The Beatles: Her majesty
  • Leonard Cohen : Queen Victoria
  • The Sex Pistols: God save the queen
  • Mike Oldfield: To France  (did you know this would be a reference to Mary the queen of scots??)
  • Bear's den: Napoleon

To me Victorio is also the capital of British Columbia in Canada and hence I sought for some songs about Canadian cities: 

  • Jeff Buckley: Vancouver
  • Genesis: Vancouver
  • Mark Knopfler : Seattle

I also searched for singers that went into politics like Lucas Van Der Taelen.  

Youssoun'Dour was an option,  Sonny, ...    but once again, I didn't feel it. 


And then I listened to Victoria again after a few weeks, listened to the text and figured that she was just playing the guy.   She wasn't serious in this relationship. She was using him.  And so I remembered Uptown Girl.  I think that Uptown Girl and Victoria are alike.  And the guys know it and choose to ignore it. 




Well Anne, it's back to you now after some delay. 

Comments

Anne said…
Da's er echt wel eentje uit mijn tienerjaren :-)
Goofball said…
@Anne: nu weet je ook waarom je wekenlang hebt moeten wachten op een vervolg

Popular Posts