Biking to the Fishponds of Bellefroid

After our earlier than planned return from Oosterhout and the cancellation of our plans to visit the Efteling,  because Jan was ill and we all hadn't slept wel for a few nights, I felt like our long weekend had failed.  As it was glorious weather, I insisted to not only rest but also find a new fun activity to profit from our free Monday.  

After some naps, I proposed the boys to take our bike and go for a bike tour in Leuven. We headed to the fishponds of Bellefroid which used to be private property but the city of Leuven acquired the huge ponds and made them public right in the lockdowns of the pandemic. I'd seen many Instagram pictures yet but had not yet arrived in that area, so we'd make up for that now. 

All in all I loved the view, but I figured there would be more views on the water. I guess we have similar beauty around the corner with the fishponds of the abbey. Nevertheless, glad I've been there and I'd love to be back once a 2nd pathway around the 2nd pond is finished as well. 





We ate a little cookie at the water, which was a relief to me, since Kabouter had started complaining about not feeling to well either.  I'm sure he had listened us talking about Jan's stomach flu too much. If he was in the mood for a cookie, that was fine. 








Well no,  on our way back, he started complaining more and all that I could do is insist to continue our return as quickly as possible.   Or maybe not too quickly as after our little climb on the Diestesteenweg behind the station he yelled to stop and the boy started puking elaborately all his stomach contents on the walkway and a city plant pot that was there much to the shock of a couple sitting on a nearby bench. 

Oh well, we tried to clean up the boy and the bike with the tissues and water we had at hand, with the help of some other people and continued asap to be home and rest.   It couldn't be soon enough because as soon as we set foot at the door at home, both boys were rushing to the toilet.  Hurray. 

Well good at least that I tried to pull out most of that school-free extended weekend. Hmm I guess the boys have not enjoyed my biketour too much after all.  But I've seen the ponds of Bellefroid finally after 2 years. 

Comments

Anne said…
Hm, toch wel een avontuur geworden. Ik moest wel even grinniken om dat koppel.
Ik ga ervan uit dat die vijvers bij avondlicht (speciaal voor jou hè, zelf zou ik gaan voor ochtendlicht) heel mooi moeten zijn!
Goofball said…
@Anne: amai, het was uiteindelijk heel stresserend om te weten dat je 1 à 2 zieke jongens nog half door de stad moet doen fietsen. Je zou ze willen teleporteren maar je kan niets anders doen dan ze blijven pushen om door te fietsen.

Ja dat koppel schrok maar was heel empathisch en bleven doektjes aandragen om ons wat proper te maken.

de vijvers zijn mooi maar zijn zo dicht begroeid errond dat je niet zo veel "zichtpunten" hebt. Je zou er dan eentje met juiste lichtinval voor een zonsondergang (of opgang) moeten hebben. de vijvers zijn wel noord-zuid georienteerd dus je loopt vooral in het oosten of westen ervan.

Popular Posts