Travel dilemma's part 1 (of 3)

It's that time of the year that friends, colleagues and family leave on vacation. A good moment to steal a post idea from Anne and plan a series of travel dilemma's.  


Part 1: 

Sun vacation/ winter sport

Not much doubt here that I prefer sun vacations and try to avoid winter sport as much as possible (even though I love playing in the snow in the Ardennes or even enjoy the view of snowy mountains. ).  I am simply not into skiing and driving in winter conditions up the mountain just terrify me.  (and before someone suggests the train: you still need to go up that mountain from the train station...been there done that).

Vacation at the beach/ Vacation inland

Both can be lovely, but there is something about the sea that creates a special atmosphere.  The air, the smell, the sea food, the vastness of space, the sound of waves.  I love the mountains but if I must choose I guess the beach gives me a more relax feeling. 

European food /Asian food

That's a tough dilemma, because I love both. But I am more familiar with European food and since most of my vacations are in Europe I guess I also eat mostly European.  And I enjoy it. 
But our travel to India and Bali many years ago was among other memorable for its good food though. 

Gone with friends / Gone with partner

It's been a while since I travelled with friends.  I think it's harder to go with friends in order to align on expectations and activities but also to align agenda's,  friends in common etc. 

No I prefer to spend time away with my family and it's also much easier to organize. And fortunately, Jan and I are quite aligned on expectations of what we want. We must have gotten a sort of travel routine over the years which we don't share with other people. 


Active vacation / Lazy vacation

What is active and what is lazy?  When we go to Gran Canaria and some other destinations, it is simply our goal to lay with a book at the pool and then go out for dinner. We don't visit anything. That is without doubt lazy. 

But we alternate with road trips or citytrips and then we visit each day something, and we are on the road. Yet I've learned to travel without the feeling "I must do, I must tick off this or that" when the children were young.  I've learned that not each thing must be seen or visited, that it is good to leave something for a repeat visit.  Beautiful view or waterfall or hike but the children are just asleep in the car : well we slow down, have a good look, take a picture through the window.  We are tired ourselves while city tripping as young parents: well having a nap in your hotel room is totally acceptable.   Arriving at the hotel destination mid-afternoon in the middle of nowhere: well, chilling in the room and then leaving early to a restaurant for lots of appetizers is also part of vacation.   It's so important to avoid pressure and stress, so that's for me, not-active.  But yes, a hike, a walk, a visit to a museum, ...I love it all with moderation at the right timing in the right mood.  


Comments

Anne said…
Altijd leuk om lezen :-)
Onmogelijke keuzes soms hè?

Popular Posts