Home in Creston Valley

When in 1995 I left Belgium for a year as exchange student in Canada, I was afraid that living in a mountain landscape would be boring.  From wherever in town you can spot the same mountains, the horizon never changes. I was afraid I'd get sick of those mountains and the lack of variation. Little did I know back then how those slopes ever change in the changing light and seasons.  

Now I am in awe by the Rocky Mountains which I consider one of the most beautiful places in the world...but I am a tourist now.  Canada's west-coast is breath taking and I want to spend more time there, but I'm a tourist there.  And the Okanogan has it all to be one's favourite vacation destination. 

But then I can reach a mountain summit and I get some shivers down my spine and from then on I count impatiently each km in the descent waiting for that turn that opens up the pass into the wide open valley.  
Or alternatively I pass the exit to a different border, I pass an incorporated village where some classmates used to live and I wait for the sharp turn around Goat mountain that arrives in the valley.  And I am no longer a tourist...I belong. 



 Descending from the Creston-Salmo summit on hwy 3 through the Selkirk mountain range. 


Kootenay valley opens up with view on the flats towards the south US border and the Skimmerhorn rocks in the Purcell mountain range on the left. 

Goat mountain left and the Skimmerhorn further straight ahead while crossing the valley


The Selkirks on the west of the valley (here facing south to US border)

The wetlands and the Selkirks going north towards Kootenay Lake

The wetlands in the valley with view on Goat mountain and the Purcell mountains going north to Kootenay Lake 



Kootenay Lake, the 104 km long lake starting north of Creston valley


Walking through town at the foot of goat mountain. 






with view west on the Selkirks and the finally renovated landmark of the two grain elevators . Thank goodness this heritage got preserved. 












Driving by full of memories to Gordon & Elaine 




My former school that has a new name in the process of reconciliation with the indigeneous community. 




Buying my home moccassins in the native store as always. 





Drinking coffee in a new coffeeshop with view on the Skimmerhorn and going for wine tasting in one of the local wineries















Bying fruit at the best and befriended fruit stand/ orchards of the valley






Aaah this valley has to offer so much.  Boring views? No on the contrary, the most comforting views there can be.  Views and locations and people that are in my heart. 



Comments

saturnein said…
Ik zou dat fantastisch vinden, denk ik, een jaar leven tussen de bergen, en al die veranderingen kunnen waarnemen en fotograferen. Een foto per dag... hmmm. De ideeën beginnen te bruisen in mijn hoofd :-)

Grappig, in 1995 werd mijn tweede kind geboren :-)
Goofball said…
@Saturnein: ik ben er beginnen beseffen dat een berghelling net meer afwisseling toont dan een vlak landschap (waar je wisselende lichtinval op de verte of bergkleuren enz) niet op afstand kan zien.

't zijn mijn bergen, zachtaardig glooiend, mijn weidse ruimtelijke vallei.

Popular Posts