Rose

It takes a village to raise a child.  My village was the curve of our little street.  My village were the neighbours and the neighbourhood children.

The hedge in the opposite curve held "passport" leaves for our police games,  the dirt side across all the ingredients for our mud pies, the grassland the grasshoppers that we tamed and sold to the neighbours, the different gardens our hiding field for hide-and-seek.

The neighbours on the left provided unknowingly a lot of tap water for our games, the neighbours on the right had a garden wall/letter box that was the ideal "table/  bed/   cupboard / oven " for our role playing games.  I don't know how often they most have found some forgotten mudpie baking next to their letters or a doll or toy.
We helped Rose to clean-up her garden with beloved roses by picking up the fallen petals which we used to mix into a magic potion.  If there was no other child to play with, I'd have conversation with her (or another neighbour) and follow them back into their homes to ask what they were doing and if I could have a cookie or if I could...  whatever.


It takes a village to raise a child.  My village was the curve of our little street.  My village were the neighbours and the neighbourhood children. 

Today our village gathered to say goodbye to "mother Roos" and I lost a little bit of my childhood.  Roos is now home with Nonkel Tony but we can find some memories reflected in the music of her son.






Comments

Popular Posts