Music Flashback: The Mission and other soundtracks by Ennio Morricone

I was fairly young when I first saw the movie The Mission.  Probably not when it was released, I was only nine back then but a few years later. I guess my older sister had been aware of the movie and decided to tape it on video. 

The movie had made a big impression on my for the story line, but also the nature, the images and its music.  I bet I've watched it a dozen times in the years to come. It's therefore no surprise that the soundtrack of the Mission by Ennio Morricone was one of my first CD's as teenager when I possessed my first own CD-player. 

In recent years I have greatly ignored all my old CD's and I no longer possess an easy accessible CD-player and definitely not a video player so The Mission has moved into some memory spot in my brain.  Until previous fall when I was mourning my dad and my music taste changed overnight and I was in need for instrumental (dramatic) music. So The Mission's soundtrack made an appearance into my playlists of Apple Music and has stayed there since.

So when I heard this week that Ennio Morricone died, it felt like Gabriel's Oboe had died.  Ennio Morricone seems to get linked mostly to spaghetti western but to me it's the jungle, the falls, the mission, the fathers and the oboe. Thank you Ennio for leaving us your music, for moving me so many times, for bringing me tears on my cheeks and a smile.




 


 There's also some music that would have been on my dad's tape recordings that he would have loved as well
 


Comments

yab said…
Nog nooit van de film The Mission gehoord. Nochtans niet de minsten die erin meespelen: Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons én Liam Neeson. Eens zien of ik de film kan vinden op Netflix. ;-)
Goofball said…
@Yab: heb je die nooit gezien? ah nochtans een classic die veel prijzen gewonnen heeft

Popular Posts