We keep on turning #wedraaiendoor: Doe Maar - Doe maar net alsof

It's my turn again to choose a song following Anne's post.  She chose "Alright for you" from the Police.  It's not quite the first song that comes in mind from the Police. 

The song implies we're asleep, not paying attention while the world is dying. We're fulfilled with our own artificial materialistic dreams like big cars and hot dates.
So we pretend as if nothing is going wrong or as we say in Dutch "we doen alsof onze neus bloedt".  We smoke a joint when the news makes us uncomfortable and try to forget what we want to forget.

So I end up at Doe Maar. 

As a 5 year old, I was one of their biggest fans. I cried when my sister came to tell me they split up.  I was convinced that they'd get back together if I wrote them a letter that I was so sad. But I never wrote that letter, I doubt I already could write letters.  But I can sing all their lyrics by heart.  And now decades later, I also understand what I'm singing. 


Comments

Popular Posts