10 things I don't have in common with Thuis

For probably more than 2 decades I am watching the Belgian popular soap Thuis.  So I must have some things quite in common to be so attached.

, and yet I am also very different for these reasons: 


  1. I'm not a job hopper. 

    I am currently working for my 3rd employer in 20 years.  And I evolve gradually in my functions. I don't have the guts or ambition to be self-employed. 

    In Thuis however, people make the strangest career moves.  A notary opens a pub but still takes lawyer cases now and then for friends.  Or a police officer decides to work in a pub.  Taxi firms get sold from one day to another.  A plumber becomes a wine farmer, the doctor shakes cocktails on Friday evenings in the bar, ...There seems to be disproportionally a lot of entrepreneurs and self-employed people but there is a total lack of office workers. 

  2. I commute to work (well ok, if there isn't a pandemic), but no single character in Thuis needs to commute to his job. Nobody comes home complaining about the long commute, missed trains or long traffic jams. 

  3. I love to travel and go on vacation

    Apart for some characters that go on vacation in order to disappear from the screen (and conveniently get ill during a pandemic or a pregnancy to be "stuck" at distance and only get video call parts), most characters seem to be eternally at home. Yeah of course, the show is called "Thuis" for a reason.

    So you never see them disappear for a week or 2, no pictures from beaches, pools, ski resorts or a mountain hike, stories from scuba diving or so.  It's not entirely true...there's some occasional city trips to visit Olivia in London but that's it. 

    On the other hand , despite lack of travel, characters seem to migrate rather easily. We have Eva and her family living in South-Africa, Peggy living in Portugal, Mayra and since yesterday doctor Ann in Cape-Verde, Olivia in London, Kaat on a boat somewhere, Aisha and Youssef in Maroc, Sam Bastiaens & Dorien in Lanzarote.  Quite a diaspora for a group of people that hardly ever travels. 

  4. I haven't had 1000 relationships and I don't have romantic ties with half of my neighbours. I've not shared lovers with my lovers or best friends. 

  5. Although I live nearby the police station and a prison, I've not had neighbours, colleagues, customers etc that turned out to be murderers, rapists or crooks. 

  6. I stay in touch better with people that disappear out of my life.  When people take a new career or move, I keep in touch, phone them, text them, visit them.  But in Thuis, even own children and siblings seem rather quickly out of the loop. 

  7. I am conflict avoidant. So I can't believe how strong some disputes grow and explode in Thuis, trigger revenge and drag so many people along.  Come on, don't let things escalate so much. I've never gotten into a physical fight either. 

  8. Apart from giving birth, I've been blessed to have never stayed in a hospital before. I think the hospitalization insurance of the Thuis crew is almost bankrupt. 

  9. I never wear make-up...Thuis characters wear make-up when they feel good and no make-up when they are tired and upset :p. 

  10. I'd hate to co-house constantly.  I need my time alone or time with my family alone without interference of other people.  Yet Louis and his friends share a house with Tim's family  and doctor Ann shares a home with doctor Judith, all whome have changing relationships etc. It would be a nightmare to manage all those emotions in so many extreme situations and then having to share rooms and spaces without sufficient privacy. 


Moederschip denounces Fridays as list-days, so now and then I also make a little list of things on various topics.

Comments

Popular Posts