We keep on turning #wedraaiendoor: The Pointer Sister's: Friend's advice (don't take it)

Each Tuesday and Thursday Anne from Satur9's World  play a musical pingpong game where we choose a new music song based on each other's previous choice by association of a name, style, lyric, style, location or whatever crosses in our mind.  We never know what the next song will be chosen and are forced to explore beyond our comfort zone due to each other's choices.

Wow, Anne just catapulted me back in time with "Just be good to me" from Beats International.  Flashback to the transition to high school, to being a teenager, to changing interests in music style. In my head the entire music scene changed around 1990.  
There was still the general pop scene that I would have followed in my childhood with ballads such as Stievie B "Because I love you" and there was the revival of De Kreuners and ...

But all of a sudden there was more technotronical music to dance like Adamski , Snap , Technotronic. The music clips were flashing with colors and distorted images. 
Secondly there were more urban style dance numbers and the music clip from Beats International reminds me of this. Haaa baggy pants, the introduciton of baggy pants. Even Isabelle A with "Hey lekker beest" had baggy pants in 1990...but of course I was way too mature already to listen to Isabelle A anymore. Pooh. 

Thirdly there was the boysbands explosion...think of New Kids on the Block.  Gosh could all my teenage friends stop drooling over them please? (rolling eyes)




So anyway, I got stuck in a 1990 flashback thanks to Anne, but couldn't figure out what to choose really from that period. It could go all directions.  Back to "Be good to me".   Featuring the Faithless + Dido version of the same song would be a bit easy. 

Then I listened to the text again.  "Just be good to me" is bound to end badly.  Some hearts will be broken and the friends knew it.  But the friend's advice wasn't taken.

This brought me to the following choices: 

  • The Pointer sister's: friends advice (don't take it)
  • Declan Mc Kenna: Listen to your friends:

The first one (although unknown to me) seemed the best link, especially since it also dates back from 1990.  Ha 1990 must have also been one of the last years with shoulder fillings, I hope. 





Comments

Anne said…
Met zeer veel plezier gelezen, je flashbacks en alles daarrond :-) Van de Pointer Sisters ken ik eigenlijk niet veel meer dan hun obligate hits.
Goofball said…
ik kende in alle eerlijkheid deze song ook niet hoor. Maar de associaties klopten hier beste

Popular Posts