Going for a long solo walk in the woods south of Leuven

Thanks to birthday parties, Scouting starting again and both Jan and myself driving to our parents to give them a hand at home, we were not able to do any activity as a family together. 

And due to the return to the office I have lost my habit to pick up the children from school or do walking meetings, so I feel I lack fresh air and movement. And it was announced that this would be the last wonderful autumn weekend so I wanted to profit to the fullest.   

And while I was most of the day on my own, I could do a longer walk than usual at my own pace and rhythm without taking anyone else in account.  And so I did for a 4 hours and 17 kms through the different woods that align the south of Leuven.   I enjoyed it very much. 

I started off at Arenberg Castle in Heverlee where I joined the wandelknooppunten . The castle shined more in the sun than a week before when we had Kabouter's communion nearby in the pouring rain. 







From there I headed to IMEC , the landmark when you approach Leuven and I entered Egenhoven woods behind it where I've never walked before. I went to search the former Josephite's house that is hidden in the woods but unfortunately all gates were locked well and the castle moat's didn't give any sight away. Too bad, I guess that the university uses it well as "Silence house" nowadays. 










From there I had to return along the Dijle river and the waiting basin / sand trap of Egenhoven that needs to protect downtown Leuven from flooding and also against silting up.  It's a nice little piece of nature to sit down and chill and observe water animals. 
It was a little silly as now I was almost back at the Arenberg castle park to be able to cross the Dijle river I hesitated whether I'd go home or continue my intended walk but I still wanted to head further into the woods on the other side of the river so off I went. 





Via some residential streets in Heverlee I arrived a little further in Heverlee bos.  After some 10 kms I sat down at a bench to eat  my sandwich I had taken along.  






Right before one of the tunnels under the E40 it was a little crowded but all of a sudden I was facing some witches that I passed with a big circle. Hmm ok. 
The noise of the highway crossing these beautiful woods, justified that I had put on some music and gave me a nice marching rhythm. 







A bit more south of the E40, I arrived in the arboretum of Heverleebos.  It's an area with gorgeous open area's that were bathing in the sun.  At the end of the arboretum I came across some witches again and some bleeding Snowwhite.   Later on I crossed a mom explaining to a little girl that this usually doesn't happen to Snowwhite but that this was probably a Halloween Snowwhite.  Poor little girl, she clearly hadn't anticipate crossing early Halloween figures in the woods. 








I crossed the Naamsesteenweg and observed why I need to take a detour for the coming 2 months to work as they'll build more safe bike roads along, similarly as what already exists a few kms further in Meerdaelwoud. 


I returned home via the Heverlee War Cemetary and the dog free zone of Heverlee bos behind it, where there's some great pines that gave a lovely southern smell. 








Back home I arrived in a skateboard championship 








Comments

yab said…
Mooie wandeling langs plekken die ik ook allemaal verkend heb in de lockdown. Ik moet zeggen dat ik nu wel een pak minder wandel dan tijdens de coronacrisis.
Goofball said…
@yab: ik wandel dus ook minder maar da's echt door de terugkeer naar kantoor en de opeens volle weekendagenda met sociale verplichtingen. Op familiefeesten komt het meestal niet tot veel wandelen.

'k hoop echt daar weer meer wandelritme in te brengen, want dit vond ik geen goede tendens.
Anne said…
Zo'n lange wandeling jong, dat lukt mij niet. Goed gedaan, en mooi!
Goofball said…
@Anne: 'k heb mezelf verrast. Had tripje van 12 km gepland maar voelde me goed en nieuwsgierig dus deed continu ommetoerkes (wetende dat ik ook versneld naar huis kon).

Popular Posts