New transport

After weeks at home, except for getting a few rides, I started to get out of the house more often again by the end of February. 


Public transport

After the first couple of weeks, my colleague couldn't give me a lift and I felt self-assured enough to take the bus and train to go to the office.  Luckily enough I live in the center of Leuven with lots of nearby bus connections and we also happen to have a frequent direct train connection until close of our office.  Many of my colleagues struggle to arrive their by public transport, but Leuven- Walibi exists as a direct line.  

I found it quite easy and relaxing to do.  I never had to wait more than 5 minutes to hop on a bus for a couple of minutes. In the train station the train has its end-station which means it's usually there 20 minutes beforehand and I could already board the train beforehand.  Once on the train, I started working already so it didn't feel like lost time.  The latter was important because my total door-to-door time did double, while the actual train ride is about the same time as my car drive.  So I need to take a bus but also walk in between and of course there is the fact that you always need to calculate some extra time: you can't risk taking a last minute bus that arrives to the minute for your train...because delays can always happen, and the checks on the board learn that there's often a bus not running.   Same for the train . 

Because there is quite some imbalance in the relationship of the traveller and the OV companies: the traveller needs to ensure to be quite on time at the right platform to use the services because the bus or train doesn't wait for you if you are late. Tough luck then.  In the other direction...bus and train can be late, change platforms etc and it's the traveller who should adapt.  So it's not a reciprocal relationship. 

During my couple of travels, my train or bus has not ever been punctual once. But I must admit that usually my delay was about 1- 3 minutes, which in my mind is totally acceptable.  I don't know if you can plan all of this to the minute while there is so much human interaction, unless you pause stops everywhere.   Once however a train without train driver was stuck in the station in Leuven which got our train stuck outside Leuven for almost half an hour...100% delay.  Yeay.  So it learns that you can't never rely on the public transport if you really must be somewhere on time (unless you count hours of margin). 





spotting the temporary tent classes at my boy's school


I did enjoy the feeling of being on the go...the hussle in and around the stations with people being on the go.  Somehow you are all in it together: the waiting, the sighing when there is a delay, the being on the move, the unreciprocality, the huddling in the cold or rain on a bare sad platform, ... It's fun to observe the people, dragging luggage, listening to their headphones,  talking, reading or busy on their smartphones...all on their way to their destination.   When you commute in your car, you are in your individual bubble. Then you curse at the traffic jams (hence at the others, while being part of that traffic jam yourself).  It's less of shared feeling. 

All in all, now I'm not in a rush anymore to drop off a baby with maxi-cosi or stroller at the daycare , I think I wouldn't curse or panic too much if they told me I had to go to the office each time by public transport now.  



By car again

You might wonder why I don't take the train to go work if it's that easy to go.  Well the simple fact is that I have the privilege of profiting of a company car.  And if you have that, your public transport costs are not paid (and if you are not a regular traveller, on top...it's expensive!!! It is freaking expensive...to someone who drives for free).  So yes, our system of too many company cars, of which I have one, ensures we underconsume public transport in Belgium.  

And then having the freedom of leaving exactly to the minute when you want it, not depending on an external schedule is so great too. 

Early March, I could finally say goodbye to my old diesel car of 7 years old.  Ha, first it took ages to change car policy, then it took ages to order and get my new car so I ended up with a company car of over 7 years old.   After 1,5 years of waiting on my order, I am now switched to a fully electrical vehicle.  At least the too many company cars in Belgium have one positive: they push the electrification of our car park in Belgium.  

It took quite some cleaning...it's amazing how much stuff you've gathered that start to vegetate and live in your car in 7 years.  The Volkswagen does have so many little storage corners (in doors, roof, under seats) that I miss now. 






So here I am, fully red now as I got bored and sad of all those standard white, silver, grey, anthracite, black or dark blue cars.  When I saw I had the budget left to go red, I bravely pushed that button in the configurator. In all honesty, I was a bit nervous of that choice for the last 1,5 years because there is nice red and there is also very ugly red.  Fortunately, I am relieved to say that I believe my new car is in the category of nice red and I absolutely love my choice now. 

And since I also finally have an automatic shifting car, allelujah, I don't need my left leg anymore to drive.  And so Jan had to drive my old car to the dealership with me and my injured knee as passenger, but I could leave as a driver in my new car.  I am mobile again! 
So yeah, I'm driving back to the office myself. Good to be mobile again, fun to try the electric driving, cool not to be dependent anymore.  New times.

And now I need to learn if the charging stress is a relevant thing or not, given the fact that I am 100% dependent on public charging (which includes charging possibilities at work).  We can't all be Witch who apparently only charges publicly about once a year. It's too recent so far to decide if this becomes a curse or not at all.  We'll see and experience. 



 

Comments

Anne said…
Proficiat met de nieuwe aanwinst :-)
Ja jong, het openbaar vervoer, ik kan daar ook wel wat over vertellen. 1-3 minuten vertraging is inderdaad niks. Sowieso, als je regelmatig met het openbaar vervoer reist, heb je altijd verhalen te vertellen!
Goofball said…
@Anne: ja met het OV heb je meer het gevoel te reizen, onder de mensen te zijn en dus met verhalen thuis te komen. Met de auto ga je hoogstens op de file foeteren en wat klojo chauffeurs op de weg.

Popular Posts