The space of the east of Belgium

Why am I looking forward so much to returning to our little spot in the east of Belgium, high up,  I wondered in the car a few weeks ago.  We were driving up for the first time since 2 months and I had missed it so much.  My immobility, the crappy weather and the children's busy incompatible agenda had prevented us of going sooner.  It didn't seem a big deal since I couldn't go for walks anyhow: it rained so much and I could not walk. So why would we drive up, to sit in the sofa and read books there, while I could do so in Leuven too? 

But now after 2 months we were driving and the children had even cheered when we said we'd leave for the weekend.  Nevertheless, my knee would still not allow me for a good decent walk and the weather prediction was as crappy as could be. We'd even be treated to hail and snow.   Ugh. 

But when the car approached the boglands near the Botrange, I sighed with relief. Aaah yes, it was good to be back.  I pondered about it again when I was stairing at the rain through the window.

  • My view here has space...view on the cow field behind our house, the Warche valley behind and the rolling hills behind that run a few kilometres into the horizon.
  • My ears have more space here...no sound of the busy city traffic
  • My lungs have more space here...filling them with fresh countryside air, often a lot more crisp and chill than at home. 
  • My mind has more space here...after we've physically taken distance of all the household chores that I ignore successfully but that are really due but now out of sight. 
  • I have physical space from the children that have their play space upstairs and not in our living room


So even sitting here, huddling inside from the bad weather outside, can be very rewarding. That's why I like to come with a regular frequency. 

Comments

saturnein said…
Oh ja, wat herken ik jouw gevoel hierbij.
Een mens heeft ruimte nodig, stilte ook. Verre einders om naar te kijken.
Is dat bij jou ook, dat het erger wordt met ouder worden?
Ik kan daar zo van genieten, van weidse en open landschappen.
En van Frankrijk.
Daar heb ik ook die zucht van opluchting. En ik groet het steevast met "bonjour la France!"
Goofball said…
@saturnein: ja in Frankrijk op het platteland heb je ook ruimte eh. Dat zat ik me gisteren op de TGV ook nog te bedenken.

Popular Posts