Silly Tom -tom calculations

Since I'm driving with my new car, I've been irritated by the Mercedes/Tom Tom navigation system that is built in the car.  In my previous old car, it was probably worse and I only used Waze on my phone but now I had hoped for something more built in.  The built-in system is supposed to have "electric wisdom" and I do usually turn it on because it calculates my battery use of the projected itinerary and I can show the itinerary at a better spot in my dashboard than Waze via Carplay. But the latter I use as double up and through navigation in case I need to find the road and if there is a deviation between both systems.

Because really Mercedes / Tom-Tom: 
  • Each commute from work home on the N25 at the point it is an "autoweg" outside the built community, you want to turn me off and send me to the paralell old highway filled with houses and commercial buildings where everyone needs to navigate on and off and break and manouvre. And then after a few kms you reroute me back to the N25 autoweg.  Yeah sure. 

    Each day I ignore you and once I simply go straight ahead and then you recalculate .  "Oh yes, that's a possibility too, in fact, this one is 4 minutes faster than what I first showed you". 
    "You bet it is faster and it is safer and it is more efficient from mobility point of view, dugh". 


  • He clearly also has a high allergy to all road works. This can be a good thing as road works can mean traffic jams and chaos etc.  But not always. Sometimes some works just mean a bit more narrow road but still smooth traffic.

    When driving to work for 3 weeks there were roadworks on the E411 that I take for 1 km when leaving the N25 and then exit right close to my office. But that exit got reconstructed.  
    So Tomtom decides kms ahead of time that I should leave the N25 and make my way criss-crossed through the city of Wavre, crossing urban and commercial area's and schools. 
    I ignore each exit and he recalculates each time but never considering the obvious road via N25, E411 highway and the correct exist.  

    No no, it is better to continue via the N25 to the next city, criss cross that and approach my work from the complete other side.  
    Oh right, if I really insist on taking the highway, I could also ignore my exist and drive to the next one, take a U-turn there, return on the highway and take my exit from the opposite way.

    Or if I am already on the so called exit with works at 1km from my office, progressing smoothly, he recalculates me to exit the highway but take the highway entry on the other side, drive to the next exit, return, take the same exit where I am already at again to then drive to the office.

    For 3 weeks I outsmarted the suggestions by 10-20 minutes by just following my regular route. And then Waze has a reputation for sending people into urban unfitted roads? Well Waze has always stuck to the highways in all these cases. 



  • So if you enter Leuven for a destination on the ringroad to the right....you can of course turn right and stop at your destination.

    Or you can follow Tomtom who proposes to go straight into the city center, turn a bit further a right, left, left and another left to return on the same road to the same original crosspoint again at the ring, to turn left.  Seriously?


  • Here he was doing drunk suggestions in Eupen. I don't know Eupen well but it sure was clear that this was not the smartest way to drive. 



Other than that I am frustrated since I can hardly search for POI.  If I need to be in eg Center Parcs Ardennes, I want to type Center Parcs Ardennes and find it instead of googling the page first, searching the street name and number and postal code to search as such. 

here I was at the trainstation in Eupen "Straat niet opgenomen". No kidding, are you lost again TomTom? 




Oh and one last frustration: my system allows me to pick the 2 most recent destinations from a short-cut.  But it aren't the last to destinations.  They are either home (which has already another short cut) or some other random incomplete address. 



Thank goodness there is still Waze. The only thing Tomtom beats Waze at is displaying charging stations (and its availability) on the map visually which Waze totally doesn't.  


 

Comments

Popular Posts