Dinner in Maastricht
Jan has been working at a customer location in Maastricht for a couple of days per week. That sounds crazy but in the end the commute isn't worse than going anywhere along the Brussels ring/E19 for us.
Right from the start we thought it would be fun to meet up with our Texan friends in Maastricht but the reality of children having homework and multiple hobbies on weekdays is more complex than to just join Jan for a dinner. And he usually doesn't go there on a Friday as the office seems empty due to most homeworkings chosing a Friday to be at home in a hybrid office culture.
Anyway...with the children both camping somewhere on a field in scouting tents and us being on our own, it seemed a good moment to go and meet. My back made it more difficult but in the end I figured I might as well have some back pain in Maastricht in good company rather than at home alone.
So with a pillow and painkillers in a back-pack I took the train to Luik/Liege and changed there on the international 3 country regional train that connects Liege with Maastricht and then Aachen. Easy and nice, I had done it before. This time there were no delays so for the first time I was in Liege with some spare minutes to admire and look at the well-known architecture of the Guillemin train station.
Right from the start we thought it would be fun to meet up with our Texan friends in Maastricht but the reality of children having homework and multiple hobbies on weekdays is more complex than to just join Jan for a dinner. And he usually doesn't go there on a Friday as the office seems empty due to most homeworkings chosing a Friday to be at home in a hybrid office culture.
Anyway...with the children both camping somewhere on a field in scouting tents and us being on our own, it seemed a good moment to go and meet. My back made it more difficult but in the end I figured I might as well have some back pain in Maastricht in good company rather than at home alone.
So with a pillow and painkillers in a back-pack I took the train to Luik/Liege and changed there on the international 3 country regional train that connects Liege with Maastricht and then Aachen. Easy and nice, I had done it before. This time there were no delays so for the first time I was in Liege with some spare minutes to admire and look at the well-known architecture of the Guillemin train station.
Jan was waiting for me at the Maastricht train station and we went for a walk to give my back muscles some movement again.
Aaaah this really is such a nice city. I like it each time I visit.
Then it was time to meet up with our friends who had booked a wonderful restaurant. We really enjoyed the menu and the company. What a great evening. Jan's contract got extended so we really need to make the effort to do this again with the children.
After a lovely evening, Jan drove us home and we were in bed at a very reasonable normal hour. Great!






















Comments