The Stavelot abbey museums

Since the weather changed in the 2nd half of August (after the draught and the fire on the High Fens, I am very carefull not to say that the weather was bad when we finally got some rain again this summer), we decided to do more excursions and visiting instead of just chilling in our garden as originally hoped.

We took the boys to the Stavelot abbey, which we had not visited anymore since 2011.  The museum is a bit strange in that it is hosted in the historic beautiful abbey buildings but hosts 3 rather diverse unrelated museums and a temporary exposition. 



Le Musée du Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps: 

In the basement there's the race museum. It shows a large collection of race vehicules with explanation of the technical evolutions. It also talks about the history of the F1 race circuit in the town and puts a lot of attention to Belgian and international star racers. 

To be honest, I am not too interested and I knew that from previous time. Fine, it's nice to see once a bunch of F1 cars lined up and learn something but I don't give any crap about engine evolutions etc. And the irritant "race" sound that blasts through the speakers in that basement are exactly the reason I hate racing.  Gosh, that sound. Ugh, give me peace and quiet.  I guess the intended public for the museum would really enjoy that race sound but for me it's a reason not to go back. 




Historic Museum of the Prince-Abbeay of Stavelot-Malmedy. 

On the ground floor of the abbey, there is a historic timeline to follow with loads of historic information from the middel ages on the founding of the abbey and its evolution with ltos of attention to some of the famous prince - abbots that had quite some regional political power. There's been a true treasure found during excavations.  

Quite nice but this museum is 100% in French so was completely lost on the children unfortunately. They moved so quickly through it that I had to skip most. 










3. Musée Guillaume Apollinaire

A few rooms are dedicated to Guillaume Apollinaire, a French (Polish native?) poet that lived briefly in Stavelot and has nice poems on the region.   
It's not visually very attractive as it's mostly text but in the given context of the High Fens being on fire, this poem touched me.

(also this museum was purely in French, I was the only one of our family quickly running through it). 











4: Temporary exposition: "From Woodblock Print to Manga: Artistic Japan"

I spent most time here and I really enjoyed the discovery of Japanese art through the centuries and the evolution.  Since I've never travelled in this part of the world, it was all new to me, altiugh the visuals and some images from eg Hokusai were familiar to me (although I'd never heard consciously that name before).  

This exposition was well displayed in multiple languages and I've enjoyed it very much. The images were very poetic to me and I have never realised the link and interaction between impressionism and the Japanese contemporary art styles. 









 


Conclusion: I still find the abbey a weird mix of museums and I wonder if I would pay a ticket once more, since half of the content doesn't interest me and the history is known by now. But we have a museumpass so it doesn't really matter.   
I was so charmed by the exposition on the other hand, that I will keep an eye on the future expositions. 

Comments