I've registered myself as organ donor




Mid September I missed the launch of a new tv program "Make Belgium great again".  I don't tend to watch that tv channel and the tv title gave me a sour taste...the reference isn't funny.

But apparently I missed something as the tv presentor tries to do some really good deeds each week and in the first week they launched with some patients on a organ waiting list, the call to register yourself as an organ donor.

In Belgium we have a really ineffective law that by default makes all people organ donors, unless they've signed protest against that.  We really shouldn't have a donor issue.  But apparently doctors always ask permission from the relatives, who - often caught in a moment of shock and distress for a sudden death of their loved ones - refuse.   So to counter that, despite our law making us organ donors by default , you can also list yourself as an explicit organ donor which gives doctors and relatives an indication of your explicit will. Doctors do not need to ask for permission anymore.   So in reality we have a complete useless law and in reality we still need to register ourselves as organ donor as in other countries if you want to allow organ donation.

Becoming an organ donor is something that you sometimes think about, something that seems obvious to do...yet you'll register some time in the future. There never seems urgency, it's some administrative hassle that never works out today but surely you'll get it done in the future.  And then all of a sudden my cousin passed away in a tragic accident this winter and I found it so comforting to know that the loss of her life has given live to several other people...and I realised I had still not registered myself. I renewed my promise to myself to register in the near future.

The great thing about the tv-program call was that they achieved a lot of media attention and a collaboration with Flemish 240 cities (!!) that opened their doors exceptionally on Sunday September 23rd to come and register yourself. It was a gigantic success as 27000 Belgians got registered in one day (usually approx 7000-8000 a year!).  We were too busy partying so I couldn't go, but the announcement refreshed my intention to register myself some other day.

And that day came really soon after, because I had to be in the city administration to get some other things sorted out and I asked for this as well. I was in the wrong department but the people there still seemed to be part of the sudden hype as well so they quickly wanted to help me.  "I'm sure I can do this as well, let me check in the computer.  "   With several colleagues that also wanted to learn how to register someone, we got my papers sorted out.  The printer spit out an amazing number of sheets so I joked whether I had to sign a paper per organ.

Anyway...I am registered.

Apparently we don't get little donor cards in Belgium but we are encouraged to print something small for our wallet ourselves. Dugh  (see my rolling eyes)...why not mark this on our ID cards and drivers licenses?

I do hope that my organs are never used because I simply die of old age at a moment that the organs aren't very interesting to others anymore  but...you never know.  And if I can't use them anymore, why not potentially save 8 other lives anxiously on a waiting list?


So did you already register yourself as an organ donor?

Comments

Popular Posts