Hé Siri
I've not been using virtual assistants at all, even though I have a digital reputation among colleagues and friends. But I love mostly written digital communication whereas I don't like to talk too much (to machines). I don't like to phone (especially not in the presence of someone else), I don't watch a lot of YouTube films because their sound also disturbs when being in the same room with others, I don't like listening to podcasts, etc... I prefer written digital news papers, written blogs, chat conversations, ...I love keyboards where my fingers fly over the keys blindly in a fast speed.
So navigating through menu's on my phone by talking to it...I didn't see the point. I rolled my eyes when I see people walking along the streets with their phone in front of their mouth. People don't need to hear what I do on my phone. The idea that they'd listen to a conversation that is not destinated at them makes me feel very uncomfortable.
And then Waze announced 2 weeks ago that you could now use Siri commands to navigate to your Waze favourites. As a Waze map editor, I wanted to test what that announcement was about, so I recorded some commands. Before I knew it, I fell in love with the ease of things when getting in your car.
"Hé Siri...drive home"
(waze app opens on the phone with an itinerary home)
"Hé Siri, drive to work"
(waze app opens on the phone with an itinerary to the office)
"Hé Siri, shuffle Happy"
(my happy playlist starts playing)
While making the commands I also saw the suggested commands to shuffle my most used playlists on Apple Music so I quickly recorded that too. And other things like phoning my most used phone numbers. And it hit me how often I do curse in the car for wanting to do something and having to toggle on my phone while I can't because I'm driving. Dugh...why did I never use Siri or the car voice commands before? Dugh.
From now on while buckling up, I command Siri to do stuff for me and by the time the motor starts, Waze shows me the correct route, the music plays etc... Nicccce.
That is until it's weekend and Jan and the children are in the car.
(while there is a lot of chatting in the car)
G:"Hé Siri...drive to x"
G:"Hé Siri"
G:"Hé Siri"
G: "Hé Siri...drive to x"
S: "I can find this in the area" (opens a list of irrelevant apple maps suggestions)
[Jan cracks up in laughter.]
J: "Siri doesn't listen to mommy"
K: "hahahaa hé siri, don't listen to mommy"
G: "All shut up for a second will you?? this usually works like a charm"
G: "Hé Siri...drive to x"
J: "hihihi mommy is fighting with Siri"
G: "Shut up while I talk to Siri"
K: "Hé Siri, don't listen to mommy! Siriiiiii, don't listen to mommy"
B: "Siri Siri Siri!!!"
G: "All shut up, come on guys it's not funny"
J: "It's very funny, it's hilarious"
B: "Siri Siri Siri!!!"
K: "Siri you cannot listen to mommy anymore, you can only listen to daddy. Mommy, I told Siri not to listen to you anymore. SIRIIII shut up, don't listen."
G: "Really this usually works, you guys are messing it up"
J: "We can see that it usually works, hahahahaaa."
B: "Hé Siriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"
K: "Don't listen Siri!!"
[I am tapping full of frustration on my phone screen and try to ignore all the boys]
So navigating through menu's on my phone by talking to it...I didn't see the point. I rolled my eyes when I see people walking along the streets with their phone in front of their mouth. People don't need to hear what I do on my phone. The idea that they'd listen to a conversation that is not destinated at them makes me feel very uncomfortable.
And then Waze announced 2 weeks ago that you could now use Siri commands to navigate to your Waze favourites. As a Waze map editor, I wanted to test what that announcement was about, so I recorded some commands. Before I knew it, I fell in love with the ease of things when getting in your car.
"Hé Siri...drive home"
(waze app opens on the phone with an itinerary home)
"Hé Siri, drive to work"
(waze app opens on the phone with an itinerary to the office)
"Hé Siri, shuffle Happy"
(my happy playlist starts playing)
While making the commands I also saw the suggested commands to shuffle my most used playlists on Apple Music so I quickly recorded that too. And other things like phoning my most used phone numbers. And it hit me how often I do curse in the car for wanting to do something and having to toggle on my phone while I can't because I'm driving. Dugh...why did I never use Siri or the car voice commands before? Dugh.
From now on while buckling up, I command Siri to do stuff for me and by the time the motor starts, Waze shows me the correct route, the music plays etc... Nicccce.
That is until it's weekend and Jan and the children are in the car.
(while there is a lot of chatting in the car)
G:"Hé Siri...drive to x"
G:"Hé Siri"
G:"Hé Siri"
G: "Hé Siri...drive to x"
S: "I can find this in the area" (opens a list of irrelevant apple maps suggestions)
[Jan cracks up in laughter.]
J: "Siri doesn't listen to mommy"
K: "hahahaa hé siri, don't listen to mommy"
G: "All shut up for a second will you?? this usually works like a charm"
G: "Hé Siri...drive to x"
J: "hihihi mommy is fighting with Siri"
G: "Shut up while I talk to Siri"
K: "Hé Siri, don't listen to mommy! Siriiiiii, don't listen to mommy"
B: "Siri Siri Siri!!!"
G: "All shut up, come on guys it's not funny"
J: "It's very funny, it's hilarious"
B: "Siri Siri Siri!!!"
K: "Siri you cannot listen to mommy anymore, you can only listen to daddy. Mommy, I told Siri not to listen to you anymore. SIRIIII shut up, don't listen."
G: "Really this usually works, you guys are messing it up"
J: "We can see that it usually works, hahahahaaa."
B: "Hé Siriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"
K: "Don't listen Siri!!"
[I am tapping full of frustration on my phone screen and try to ignore all the boys]
Comments