We keep on turning #wedraaiendoor: Jacques Brel - Le plat pays

Each Tuesday and Thursday Anne from Satur9's World  play a musical pingpong game where we choose a new music song based on each other's previous choice by association of a name, style, lyric, style, location or whatever crosses in our mind.  We never know what the next song will be chosen and are forced to explore beyond our comfort zone due to each other's choices. 

 

Hmm Anne knows music I've never heard off.  When it comes to the 80ies, I guess my young age then made me stick to the big hitparade classics while Anne clearly had a chance to dig deeper in all specialties. So the song she dug up a novelty to me with "Seven seas" by Echo & the Bunnymen 

As soon as I heard the title (before I even heard the song), I thought of 7 seconds by Yousn'dour and Neneh Cherry. Wonderful song.   But I guess I had to listen a bit to Anne's choice first before making my decision. 

Then I thought for a second that Robert Smith walked into the screen of the clip so the entire song I was reminded of The Cure songs. But gosh, that hair in his eyes, it drove me crazy so I started googling haircut songs which resulted in the following choices: 

  • Cut your hair - Pavement    
  • Lend me your comb - The Beatles
The clip also featured pinguins, whiles and fish as props.  This prompted me to the following ideas. 

  • Florence & The Machine – Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
  • Bob Marley and the wailers
  • Geppetto and the whales - Juno or Thirteen

By the end of the song I was convinced that I'd play with a song of Geppetto and the whales and I've spent listening to the newest album while working and I quite enjoyed the chill atmosphere with less rhythm than in Juno. 

But while working it jumped back in my mind that the song is really about seven seas and that I should use the sea better.   

  • Bart Peeters - Heist aan Zee
  • Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water
  • HAEVN - Back in the water


Aaaaargh what a dilemma: an opportunity to post Bart Peeters my hero! But Heist aan Zee is a song that had a bit too much airplay no? Yes, even Bart Peeters can be too much. So Geppetto and the Whales that probably not too many people know? A little bit of promotion for less known Belgian artists. You know I love Belgian music ;). 

And then I thought "Avec le mer du nord"  et voilà

Comments

Anne said…
Wat een schitterende gedachtengang alweer! Grappig ook, met de bedenkingen over zijn kapsel :-)

Ik was trouwens een rasechte new waver, zwarte kleren, puntschoenen, tweedehands opa-jas, the works. En wat deden new wavers? Hun haar touperen! Met veeeeeeel haarlak of andere toestanden :-D

Popular Posts