Made in Belgium: De Kreuners

Last weekend I was at the last open air concert of De Kreuners at TW Classic festival.  It was a shock to here the announcement this year that the Kreuners would end. Huh, the Kreuners are part of our culture, probably to such a degree that I doubt that any foreigner can understand why we love them so much.  All my life they were around with concerts in small halls and on big festivals.  My very first concert ever was when I was 11 years old and I could go with my older sister to a concert of ...De Kreuners in our local concert hall.  And then I've seen them all over...also featured on my blog before when they played at Beleuvenissen  and when that concert got aired on tv afterwards. I've even admitted before to have had a teenage crush at Berre Bergen.

I can't belief they stop in December.  Geez.

34 years ago they started and made the radical choice to make Dutch rock, which was pretty unusual then (and still rather is). They participated in Humo's Rock Rally but didn't quite make it. They didn't despair but went to London to record their first single which became a hit right away. Early 80ies they were already featured at the big Rock Werchter festival. The group whose name means "the Moaners, doesn't truly excel in pure vocal talents, but they rocked  and built a strong live reputation with lots of informal interaction with the public, silly jokes.  At the end of the 80ies it was a bit more silent around then, but in the early 90ies they had a revival which ended up much bigger than their beginning years. This is exactly the period where I discovered them, was nuts about all their hits, but also discovered my sister's old early 80ies cassette tapes :).

Walter Grootaerts, the singer, became a succesful tv presentor in the 2nd half of the 90ies and even a local politician while the drummer Ben Crabbé still presents a very popular daily tv quiz on tv.

Despite all their side activities and the lack of succesful new songs coming out over the last 15 years, De Kreuners simply seemed to continue bringing their long long list of succes hits. And on each concert, they manage to get the crowd shouting & clapping until the very back.  

Oh well, maybe they'll get convinced over 10 years or so to launch a reunion tour. Let's hope so.




Ik wil je - 1990


Ik dans wel met mezelf (a Dutch adaptation of "Dancing with myself" of Billy Idol's Gen-X) - 1991


Layla - 1982 (a song about the singer's daughter and the difficulties of fatherhood after divorce....Layla is a bit older than me and already quite some years a mom herself already)


Maak me wakker als je gaat - 1991


Verliefd op Chris Lomme + Ik wil je



Nu of nooit


Ze heeft stijl - 1981


Nummer 1 - 1978


Cous-Cous kregen - 1986   song about immigrant difficulties


Comments

Alcyon said…
Mijn dochter (8) is recentelijk fan geworden. Haar lievelingsnummer is momenteel "Zij heeft stijl" :-)
Qua trendbreuk (K3, Huis Anubis,...) kan dat tellen :-)
(BTW, ik stond ook op TW Classic)

Popular Posts