Made in Belgium: Stromae

One morning 2-3 weeks ago I was standing in the bathroom still half asleep when I heard a catchy song on the radio. Quite mesmerizing, quite sticky in my ear, making me move slightly in my subconscious state. All of a sudden I heard the DJ mention that this was a Belgian song. Ha, since I started this "Made in Belgium" series half a year ago, I have become much more attentive to Belgium music so this remark woke me up slightly.

A few days later I heard the tune again and this time I understood the name of the performer: Stromae . Much to my surprise I noticed that this Belgian-Rwandan artist had scored a number one hit in Wallonia (already 32 weeks in the charts!), France, Germany, Switserland & Austria at the start of the year. Only a few weeks ago the number got released in Flanders. And within 2 weeks it has become a hit. It also holds the number one position in the Netherlands. Way to go. It sticks to my mind and I like it so let's play it some more :).


Alors on danse




Comments

zusjesenzo said…
Geweldig nummer hè! Ik ben van plan om het mee naar de klas te nemen en te bespreken.
Betsy said…
This song is really big here as well. Or at least I think it is-- all the kids are passing it around as ringtones and I've been hearing it non-stop on the radio. (Only thing is that it's Radio 538, which Michiel streams when he's at home.) In any case, it's very popular at our house...
Brian Miller said…
that is a catchy tune...wicked cool vid as well...
Kat Mortensen said…
Wow, I like this a lot! It's very catchy and although Belgian, it really has a great feel of the African, doesn't it? I wonder if this artist was in Rwanda at the time of the massacre? Have you seen "Hotel Rwanda" it is a brilliant film.

Kat
Goofball said…
@poetikat: Stromae has grown up in Brussels and has not lived in Rwanda as far as I've been able to look-up.

Yes I've seen 'Hotel Rwanda. powerful movie. At the start of the genocide , 10 Belgian para's have been murdered after which the Belgian army withdrawn from Rwanda....leaving the path wide open for the genocide to happen in our former colony. The Belgians surely failed there to play an important role ... The hotel was as a matter of fact a Belgian hotel at that moment but the management fled as well, authorising the local assistent manager to take over.

Popular Posts