Toothless grin

So it happened a week ago: the wobbling tooth is no more.  When picking up Kabouter in school a classmate already yelled to me as I entered the school "Kabouter lost his tooth".

And there he was with the first big hole in his mouth.  A bump against his best friend while playing in class had taken it out. He had almost swallowed it but in the end he had rescued the tooth and his teacher had put it in an exchange pot for baby teeth.





We brought his first little tooth home and quickly exchanged it in some own tupperware as I did not have a tooth container yet.

Much to my surprise and frustration, Kabouter started to talk about the tooth fairy. Really? Did that tale cross the ocean? Apparently the tooth fairy had already visited some of his friends in class. Some text messages with other mom's gave me mixed messages.  But he insisted: we quickly had to put the tooth under his pillow so he'd get a gift the next day. 

I probably should have responded right away that the tooth fairy didn't exist or wouldn't come or so but instead Jan - who was abroad for the entire week - and I asked him to conserve his tooth first until Jan would come home because he 'd like to see it first. Reluctantly Kabouter said he'd wait.  And he's never enquired so often when Jan would return home.

"Dadddy!! Look my tooth! Now we can put it under my pillow".   
My hope that he'd forget if we didn't bring up the subject long enough didn't work.  Since I had not denied the topic either, it was a little late to start doing that. On top of that I didn't want Kabouter to start telling his friends that the tooth fairy is a lie, neither that he'd start questioning other things. So we let his tooth in the little pot under his pillow (no...not only his tooth as he wanted because it could slip away in the blankets and the fairy would not find it). 
And we crafted a little shiny envelop, with a tooth fairy card in it and a coin of money.   Not the gift he had hoped for (and for which he wanted a retry...) after all we'll have 40 tooth to cover in this household in the coming years. 

And so now we have a big boy with a growing adult tooth who beliefs in the tooth fairy.  



Comments

Popular Posts