The animals that visited us in the east of Belgium
Over the summer we've had some surprise animal visits in the east of Belgium...some for a first time, other's have had (relatives?) there before.
The toad
The toad
After a good rain shower, I found this tiny fellow jumping on the stones of the driveway next to our car. He was such a tiny baby.
The run-away dog
At one point Beertje called me out. I had to come outside immediately, there was something. Turns out we had a visiting dog in the front garden. A sweet little approachable fellow. But not ours, so he should be located.
I waved to the neighbours behind the window 2 houses further for help. They are dog-owners and live there permentantly so I hoped they could identify the dog. They couldn't, but they picked up some yelling a few gardens further and so in a little chain the searching dog owners got warned that they had to come our way to bring this buddy home again.
At one point Beertje called me out. I had to come outside immediately, there was something. Turns out we had a visiting dog in the front garden. A sweet little approachable fellow. But not ours, so he should be located.
I waved to the neighbours behind the window 2 houses further for help. They are dog-owners and live there permentantly so I hoped they could identify the dog. They couldn't, but they picked up some yelling a few gardens further and so in a little chain the searching dog owners got warned that they had to come our way to bring this buddy home again.
The hedgehog.
The day after Rodin caught a mouse, played with it and let it escape again, Rodin was clearly intrigued by our shrubs again. He approached, sniffed, backed off, etc... I assumed the mouse was there again but a little later Kabouter exclaimed that we had a hedgehog.
Sure enough a nice big prickly boll was rolling in the leaves. Not sure if he was healthy , hungry or thirsty in the heatwave we put out a little water and a few cat cookies (the internet claimed that was ok). When we took our distance, we heard him moving around and sure enough the food was gone later and he had also tried to drink. At dusk I saw him moving around and moving out...he looked healthy and active now that the giant cat had been kept at distance. It was sad to see him go though, I hope he visits more frequently.
The day after Rodin caught a mouse, played with it and let it escape again, Rodin was clearly intrigued by our shrubs again. He approached, sniffed, backed off, etc... I assumed the mouse was there again but a little later Kabouter exclaimed that we had a hedgehog.
Sure enough a nice big prickly boll was rolling in the leaves. Not sure if he was healthy , hungry or thirsty in the heatwave we put out a little water and a few cat cookies (the internet claimed that was ok). When we took our distance, we heard him moving around and sure enough the food was gone later and he had also tried to drink. At dusk I saw him moving around and moving out...he looked healthy and active now that the giant cat had been kept at distance. It was sad to see him go though, I hope he visits more frequently.
The new-born calf
This is a recurring event but it stays so special. The field next to us is the maternity of the neighbouring farm. The big pregnant ladies get isolated from the heard there so I stare at their butt all the time to track what's happening. And I listen to the frantic moo-ing that they start to produce after which I cheer for them.
And I get to welcome the little calf before anyone else. Sad though to each time see the farmer scoop up the calf and bring it away.
This is a recurring event but it stays so special. The field next to us is the maternity of the neighbouring farm. The big pregnant ladies get isolated from the heard there so I stare at their butt all the time to track what's happening. And I listen to the frantic moo-ing that they start to produce after which I cheer for them.
And I get to welcome the little calf before anyone else. Sad though to each time see the farmer scoop up the calf and bring it away.











Comments