Visiting Art of the Brick in Brussels

When we visited downtown Brussels early December to meet up with Sinterklaas and get some first Christmas atmosphere, I also wanted to warm up and the children requested to visit a museum. I knew there was a LEGO exposition downtown. 

With hindsight, I know there is also a LEGO discovery centre in Brussels, but I had the exposition Art of the Brick in my mind, yet I mixed both of them up.  Art of the Brick had a poster near our house so the image of that exposition was familiar to us and had already received comments from the boys before.  So of course, the boys were right away quite enthusiastic to go and see it.  It was located in a pop-up exposition on the big market square of Brussels so right in the area where we were walking.  Perfect combination. 




Art of the Brick is an exposition of art entirely made by LEGO and not so much a LEGO experience centre. It was also much smaller than I anticipated: the site said to count for 60'-90' but we were outdoors again after a bit more 30'.  So it's not cheap for that small amount of time but I did enjoy my visit and it was a good combination for my love of art and the children's natural interest to LEGO.  


1) Recreations of famous art

One part were recreations of world heritage art pieces. It was a cool educational moment for the children to introduce them to some of these classics. 

For paintings the result was sometimes too much a version with low number of pixels but yet it was cool how close you could get to the original. 




2) explorations of the human body
The other half of the exposition were all types of explorations and interpretations of the human body.  They sure triggered reflection and emotions as art should do. 








The T-rex was the biggest sculpture and sure impressive. 



At the end of the exposition there was a tiny play zone, but that didn't trigger our children to stay and play really. 






Comments

Popular Posts