The east of Belgium in a crisp layer of snow

My biggest frustration this winter was missing all snow in the east of Belgium.  We've had plenty of snow over there , just never in the weekends we could come. Since we've been spoiled previous years with some snow abundance time around Christmas or later weekends,  where we could go sledging,...I missed it very much this time. 

Two weeks ago, had the same prediction again: snowfall on Tuesday and Wednesday (even in Leuven!) but by the end of the work week temperatures rise and it start raining and all snow is gone.  

Jan worked in the east already on Friday as some contractor had to come by, and I'd drive up with the children through the rain on Friday evening. At least Saturday was predicted sunny and dry so I'd sooth my pain with a lovely walk. 

But all of a sudden, weather predictions changed and the rain prediction changed in a snow prediction. I rushed and finished work too early to pack up everything quickly and pull up with a packed car, including our cat at the boys school in order to drive up before the main showers. Because I love snow, but snow traffic chaos terrifies me.  I'd catch up my work later in the weekend but now leaving on time was crucial. 

Sure enough it was already quite quickly wet snow while driving so I felt stressed but in the end it didn't get worse than that, and we were able to advance well without too much traffic jams.   And then we were on a quiet road through the woods, climbing up in the height and sure enough the world started becoming a bit whiter and my excitement grew.  

Once safe and warm in our home I could only wish for a lot more snow to come, but besides the showers in which we drove up, not much precipitation fell anymore overnight.  But I profited from an early solo walk in the village to enjoy as much as possible of this white little layer. At least I can't complain anymore that I had not seen any snow this winter in the east of Belgium.  And even a modest amount , combined with a blue sky and some sun, adds a touch of magic in the landscape. 













Our well insulated roof had dumped a small pile of snow earlier in the week in front of our door

Comments

Anne said…
Niet veel, wel mooi :-)
Hoe lang is het eigenlijk rijden van Leuven naar jullie plekje in het oosten van het land?
Goofball said…
@Anne: echt niet veel als je weet dat er weken meer dan 20cm gelegen heeft. Maar hier zal ik het mee moeten doen.

het is een kleine anderhalf u rijden.

Popular Posts