Revalidation
It's been 6 weeks since my ski accident that tore my knee ligament. Since two weeks, I finally know the verdict that avoids surgery.
After the first hesitation and the first fearful steps along the bathroom sink, holding on, I started taking my brace off consistently indoors when moving on the same floor. Well in our house full of staircases, that means I spent a lot of time taking on and off my brace but I took the liberty to walk around on my socks in our open office space, which seemed a good exercise and that went quite well. It feels very liberating to sit without brace so I am getting more and more eager to take it off. But it also makes it a lot more clear that I cannot fully stretch my left leg at the moment.
And now I am also attempting to take some stairs since yesterday.
And so slowly I do notice clear progress, which the therapist had declared immediately "in 6 to 8 weeks, we can do a lot". I'm far from normalizing things, I still can't pivot, push strength, squad etc...But I can see it'll come, as long as I keep doing my exercises with discipline.
There was a funny moment on work when one of my team members stared at my legs and pointed to my good leg "oh yes, we can see it is swollen! wow!" and I had to reply that that was my good leg but that the muscles on my injured legs had visibly already withered away in just those 5-6 weeks , making it look much thinner.
It's just hard to feel my limits. Last weekend we walked downtown to visit multiple schools that had visiting days and I surely overdid it. ugh, the walk back home was such a struggle. Today we did the same without an issue, so what I couldn't do last week does not mean I can't do it today...but can I? I should try to bike but I need to test if I have the strength to bike uphill. Well euh, that's not practical to leave right?
And on which day shall I take off my brace outdoor, if I continue to walk indoor ? How far can I go? Should I backpack my brace along? I'm not painfree but a bit of pain isn't problematic either.
Step by step right :).
Comments