We keep on turning #wedraaiendoor: Zeg me dat het niet zo is - Frank Boeijen

Each Tuesday and Thursday Anne from Satur9's World  play a musical pingpong game where we choose a new music song based on each other's previous choice by association of a name, style, lyric, style, location or whatever crosses in our mind.  We never know what the next song will be chosen and are forced to explore beyond our comfort zone due to each other's choices. 

 

Anne associated "Ne me quitte pas" following my "Le Plat Pays" from Jacques Brel and ended up selecting another break-up song.   I didn't know "By The Time I get to Phoenix" from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (in this video clip by the way without moustache...hahaha I googled him a few posts ago for his moustache but clearly he's better known without the hair on his lip). 

I like the vulnerability in this song, even though he's the one leaving his girl.  She won't believe it's for real right away, but he seems in pain because he already knows it is real.  And breaking-up is never easy.


My mind continued browsing for break-up songs.  First of all, driving to Phoenix is one way to leave your lover, but it's not one of the "50 ways to leave your lover", listed by Simon and Garfunkel!   So now we have 51 ideas. 

Lenny Krevitz is also leaving his "American woman" but doesn't seem too much in pain for it all. However there's other couples struggling with accepting the reality of a (coming) break-up and the pain it brings: 

  • Maak me wakker als je gaat - De Kreuners
  • What's a woman - Vaya Con Dios
  • Don't tell me it's over - Amy Mc Donald
  • De Verzoening - Frank Boeijen 


 "Zeg me dat het niet zo is" , sings Frank Boeijen in another song.  He seems pretty much in denial as well, pretends all is ok when going to his favourite restaurant.  But all is not ok and he knows it.  And at the end you know it too when the song smacks into your face and I fall apart by so much tangible pain.  Gosh, I've cried so hard on this song before.  This song catches me by the throat so much.



You can listen here to some explanation about the song by Frank Boeijen

Comments

Popular Posts