My first quiz experience
January was a tough month at work with some drastic decisions that drained my energy level. So even though there was a lot of snow in the east of Belgium I didn't drive there because it would require me returning on Saturday evening already, and I was simply too tired for so much driving for just a few hours of snow fun.
But on Saturday I drove to Deinze where I met up with some of my university friends to join for my first quiz ever. One of my friends had done this one last year and had asked us to join the little required quiz team this year. I like quizzes (online, tv) but had never participated in real life in such an organised one. This one happened to be in my mom's hometown, so I combined with a visit to her and I was glad not having to drive home but to crash in my old bedroom at night.
But on Saturday I drove to Deinze where I met up with some of my university friends to join for my first quiz ever. One of my friends had done this one last year and had asked us to join the little required quiz team this year. I like quizzes (online, tv) but had never participated in real life in such an organised one. This one happened to be in my mom's hometown, so I combined with a visit to her and I was glad not having to drive home but to crash in my old bedroom at night.
With some extra coffee to start, we got ready in the big room that was fully filled with quizzers. We read the rules multiple times, reminded ourselves to the hint that at least one answer would be "Marathon", my quiz mates handed me some spare paper (gosh they were prepared, I was surprised we needed to bring a pen and that paper would be handy).
12 rounds, each with their own theme... I believe we named in each round at least twice "marathon" as a potential answer. A new type of herb rediscovered...marathon...A band name we can't discover ...Marathon. The most ridiculous things were marathon, but the tactic did deliver us once the right answer: did you know a Snickers was named Marathon before?
12 rounds, each with their own theme... I believe we named in each round at least twice "marathon" as a potential answer. A new type of herb rediscovered...marathon...A band name we can't discover ...Marathon. The most ridiculous things were marathon, but the tactic did deliver us once the right answer: did you know a Snickers was named Marathon before?
We also made some wild lucky guesses...yes Thriller is the most sold album in the history. And that British politician that was first a chemist who invented soft ice is indeed Margaret Thatcher. And we had so much wrong, but were so surprised and happy and proud to land in the middle of the pack. Not bad for our debut. And it was fun.
But it just took so much time before it was all over and the final scores were calculated. We were all longing for our bed, and we were not the only table that rushed out as soon as the scores were published.
But it just took so much time before it was all over and the final scores were calculated. We were all longing for our bed, and we were not the only table that rushed out as soon as the scores were published.

Comments