The perfect bedtime
I've been enjoying some snoozing in my warm bed lately and was reflecting my bedtime routines. I realize I got the habit of tucking myself in the same way.
I feel fatigue rising and my attention span deteriorating (in front of laptop or tv or ..). I've become quite regular in the timing to go upstairs. Sometimes I go early when I don't feel like watching tv, and then I read a bit in bed.
Then I flip out the light and turn on my left side. The duvet gets pulled up right at my chin...I want to feel the line of the cover on my cheek line. Unless there is a big heat wave, I will always sleep under a duvet and I treasure the softness.
I wiggle my head so it has the right position in the ergonomic pillow, which is a bit higher in the neck and then deeper but firm where my head rests.
I pull up my legs in an angle which is just a bit less than 45° at hip and knee. It feels the most relax. Later at night I might stretch one or both of them but when I go to bed I usually pull up my legs. That's the moment the right type of pyjama's is crucial that do not ride up my leg, if not I have to pull them down again. Also, the sentiment of a covered leg, except during summer, is important. It's also the reason why I hate sleeping gowns.
Then I pull one or two of our teddy bears against my belly. Since I've experienced co-sleeping with my babies, the sentiment of some volume tight to my belly is comfortable, and I'm sure the association still triggers some nice oxytocin hormones to send me off sleeping. It also prevents cooler air flowing to me if Jan is moving too much in bed.
Next I roll forward a little, pull the duvet behind my back and then roll back a bit so that on my back the duvet is also nicely tucked. I always must have warmth in my loins. When in a sofa, I always tuck a pillow behind my back. So I need to have that duvet behind my back.
If later in the night I roll to my other side, one of those teddy bears can remain behind my back.
Finally, when I'm all comfortable, I bend my arms half upwards and let my hands rest next to my pillow or under my pillow (holding a handkerchief). And I can sink in...
Comments
Wat parallellen, wat dingen die anders zijn bij mij.
Ik heb jaaaarenlang op mijn zij geslapen, en ben dan veranderd naar rugslaper. En nu de laatste tijd keer ik weer terug naar dat zij-slapen. (wat met mijn gekneusde ribben niet evident was/is, ik mis het comfortabel slapen op mijn rechterzij heel erg).
De thermostaat in mijn lichaam is een vreemd geval geworden. Een keer dat het 's nachts buiten 7 Ã 8 graden wordt, vind ik het warm en hebben vooral mijn voeten snel te warm. Onder die temperatuur vind ik het gezellig onder mijn deken. Ik heb deze winter veel meer last van de kou dan voorgaande winters.
(heeft trouwens alles te maken met de menopauze, daarvoor was ik echt een koukleum, altijd koude voeten).