Kajaking in Whistler

Is there anything more Canadian than kajaking on a lake? ...Canoeing maybe. The number of cars in summer driving by with canoes or kayaks on the roof is significant.

We had canoed with a nature guide in the Creston Wildlife Centre, but in Whistler we were tempted by the kayak rental places on the local lakes.  I was hesitant if I could manage a kayak with a child but on our last day we went for it.

We rented some at the lakeside park at Alta Lake and off we went.  Jan and Beertje swiftly peddled away and to Kabouter's frustration we could not keep up with them. 
I got much wetter because I applied the canoe deep peddle that apparently isn't necessary for a kayak. Oh well. 

We enjoyed the lake, the space, the calmness and checked out some of the jalous-making villa's along the lake , the creek arriving into the lake and we tried to make it back at the dock after one hour.  The kayaking with the children went more smooth than I had anticipated and even passing the phone camera back & forth for some pictures didn't end disastrous. Pheww














 

A very nice little activity that I've enjoyed ever since.  Remember my sore shoulder that needed physiotherapy in Spring? Well I had diligently done exercises for 2 months and felt a lot better during our holiday.  Nevertheless, I did feel the difference between both shoulders when peddling.

And 30 hours later in the plane, I woke up from my nap with my shoulder completely immobilized in pain.  I was back to square one with my shoulder or much worse in fact.  The first week at home I had trouble getting dressed, couldn't drive the car etc... With little progress I've had shoulder radio's in October and a phase of intense anti-inflammatory medication.  And now finally ...we're almost December now, I can say it has much improved and I'm slowly building my shoulder strength again.  But...I am very paranoia for new "kayak" moments that overload my joints.  I great little hour at the end of our vacation that has given me a long aftermath to enjoy. 


Comments

Popular Posts