The books I read the first months of 2024

1. De Moord op Harriet Krohn - Karin Fossum 



A Scandinavian thriller that starts with a murder getting prepared and executed.  We are in the head of the killer and then follow him how he tries to calm down again, erase his tracks and pick up his life. Which seems to happen quite well.   The police investigation starts which he tries to follow in the media from a distance.  

But does the police stay at distance? 

I really like the unusual 

De Gentse bruid - Dorrit Willumsen


I was interested to learn and read about a bit of history that I didn't know.  A Bourgundian princess that gets married as a child to the Danish king and moves to his court.  


In het fort van de kolonel - Laura Frantz


Another bit of history I don't know much: the independence war in the USA where a young women ends up in a fort on the frontier in the USA where they try to keep position amidst natives and UK colonial forces , spies and alliances.  

The love story was quite predictable but didn't put me off as I had anticipated some smooth reading.  Nevertheless the book will not stick around too much. 


Leuke nieuwe buren - Jan Fallon. 


I kept this book until just before a deadline to return my books to the library. I could not prolong the books anymore but that didn't stress me out as I knew that I'd finish this book within a couple of days as soon as I started it.  I know Jane Fallon by now and she didn't disappoint me. 

She gave me a lot of intrigues again from people that keep up the appearances, others that know but keep up the show but in the end revenge is found.  All in an amusing way. 


Macht der gewoonte - Fay Weldon



 

The high society in London has financial issues and needs to find ways to get out of it.  In the mean time they keep running their household...or all their servants keep running their household. 

Indeed, it is in the spirit of Downtown Abbey but it lacks the emotions and the empathy you can feel. You can only feel intrigued in how otherwordly they think and live.  

Comments

Popular Posts