Street art in Leuven (7)

My last Street Art post was in April and I concluded that I had now probably covered all street art that I was aware off in those 6 posts.  But I was wrong I quickly realized. 


1) Ode to Saskia

I had never visited the tribute that Gijs Vanhee painted for our beloved friend Saskia on her former house even though this piece of art is hanging up as a post card in our house for 2 years now.  I had not visited it yet as I had a wrong street in my mind but I also believe I postponed a visit because this painting isn't just a neutral piece of street art to me. 
When I realized I was driving by closeby this summer, just a few weeks before her death anniversary, so I quickly parked somewhere and walked by for a short moment. 

Gijs is also a volunteer at Mobile School and has known Saskia very well.  He depicted her in his own typical style, telling stories amidst the street children that have inspired her life. Saskia loved to live in this quiet street as well where there was a lot of social interaction among the families living there.  It's so nice that part of her stays in her beloved street. 




2) Brand-new tribute to Hortence Daman, at the new street named after her just next to the city graveyard.  I guess the city of Leuven kept his promise to name more streets to women and this new urban development was named to a lady who was active in the resistance during WW II.   She grew up here in the quarter near the cemetery. This new street art just got painted by Gerolf Van De Perre at the end of September. He depicted her with her bike in the main lane of the cemetery, in which she smuggled.  I really love this new piece of art in our neighbourhood, painted by a traditional painter. It feels as if you are truly walking 200m further on the cemetery and you could cross her there. 

More info on this new piece of art here



3) Decorated schools: 

This summer I noticed that the neighbourhood school had multiple BISSER paintings at their entrance walls. 







But street art on schools becomes a trend in Leuven (and elsewhere?). I still adore the astronauts in Kessel-Lo which I have posted already in the past. They must really trigger the imagination of the children. 



All walls of the Sint-Jansschool have also been painted in different themes. 






4) The bee-friendly wall by Tuzq on the neighbourhood community center in Mannenstraat




5) A new BISSER at the underground pedestrian pass way under the R23 ring in Leuven. (ok new, clearly it's been there since 2020)




6) One street away a house got some flowers on the facade




7) some more things I randomly spotted in Leuven the past months


While you drive on the ring road, you don't always realize the art below in the tunnels/bridges. 



Not street art, but poetry on facades is always inspiring too. 



And no, I'm not done yet. I know there is some awesome new art on the other side of the city where I didn't get to yet.  



Here's my 7th post on street art in Leuven. Version 6Version 5Version 4version 3 en version 2 and version 1 can be found in my archives. 

Comments

Els said…
mooi!
Goofball said…
@Els: ja eh
Goofball said…
@Inktvis: hoi Inktvis, ik zag dat je al 2 keer een comment naliet en weer wiste. Ik heb inderdaad nog heel veel street art aan te vullen. Er volgde na deze post nog een andere versie 8 maar intussen heb ik al weer enkele foto's klaarstaan want recent zijn er in Leuven nog nieuwe toegevoegde (Sanda Dia , het WK in Wilsele) en er zijn er massa's in de deelgemeenten die ik nog niet gezien heb.

Je verwees naar de Strijdersstraat: ik ben er nog niet geraakt maar ik weet heb deze wel al op foto van online berichten aan mijn kinderen getoond omdat deze zo groot is. Is dat jouw werk?? tof hoor.

Popular Posts